Poem: The Quiet Adventures of a Solo Traveller

I am embarking on yet another solo journey and yes I know Covid is still around.
It's a risk a passionate traveller like me will take.
When the government says 'hey ho, you can go, just be safe and stay away from these countries'
The traveller breathes a sigh of relief and ponders on what would be the next solo trip destination ((safest)) of course 
Research done, flights booked, hotels reserved and a little cloth shopping for the new adventure.
Sporty, casual, evening outing outfits 
and ladies, don't forget the cosmetics.
All packed and ready to fly with no one by my side.

When I travel, I'll be all by myself
When I sit down at a restaurant to eat, I'll be all by myself 
When I visit a monument,I'll be all by myself
when I decide to take a scenic tour, I will enjoy the pleasant views all by myself
When I lay down to rest at night, I'll be all by myself.

But I'll be enjoying my own company. I'll be having an adventure. I'll admire God's creation. I'll be stared at and admired by both men and women as I walk on the streets alone, smiling as my heart skips within me.
Some people might be tempted to ask why I'm alone, 
Some people might stop me on the street asking me, the 'tourist' for directions... thinking I'm a local.

I might desire to start a conversation with someone after exchanging a few glances when our eyes met and say 'hello' .
I've had many a few lone adventures... but the feeling never gets old.
Watching planes take off and waiting for my turn, window shopping as I walk through duty free, planning my route from airport to accommodation to while away the time. 
Rebuking thoughts that my plane might be the one going down to crash and in my death I'll make  headlines. Saying prayers multiple times for God to direct the pilots, protect air stewards, my family, my work colleagues. Feeling tempted to say prayers again when the plane encounters turbulence.

Worrying about my phone battery dying unexpectedly and my power bank not working mysteriously. Wondering if I should have learnt a few phrases of the local language just in case, the English speaking population is lower than I anticipated. Buying tickets for local buses, trams and trains and wondering if I missed my stop. Waking up later than planned because the bed is simply too comfy. Taking a walking tour of the city even though I've got a discounted card on public transport. 
Eating once a day because I simply want to be on the move. Having a hard time finding local restaurants to sample local cuisine because fast food, kebab and other dishes (cough Italian) have taken over the world.
Ordering dessert twice while sitting alone at a table for two.
 
These are the kind adventures solo travellers like me might be well acquainted with. Alone, but living life as we journey from destination to destination to the fullest ✌
I hope you enjoyed my poetic story on 'adventures of a solo traveller'.
Now it's your turn, please tell me what you found inspiring, sad or plain stupidity on my part in the comments section below.

By the way, I have just launched Intraordinary Travels, a Travel Supplement for this blog to specifically offer travel tips and advice for everyone but especially for those who want to travel more. 
Add us a 'friend' on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/intraordinary.travels
& Instagram https://instagram.com/intraordinarytravels?igshid=yeck39ha3w5t

Till next time

Happy Living!

Claudy xoxo 

Comments

  1. I think that was great.I love to travel too .....,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your contribution. Traveling is a great experience! It might seem daunting the first time one solo travel's but it's an enjoyable experience in the end. You will learn that you are stronger, braver and more organized than you think. Look out for Intraordinary Travels on Instagram and YouTube for our travel vlogs coming up soon. Keep reading and keeping living out loud.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! If you enjoyed what you read, please share with your friends. Much love, Ta :)

Popular posts from this blog

My To-Be List for age 30 and beyond

Dear Singleton...Part 1

Being Extraordinary