Believe in You

Estimated reading time: 5 minutes (to read and ponder)

Let's begin with an inspirational quote.



If you are a regular Intraordinary blog reader or if you have watched my Q&As, you will know that I write inspired by the happenings of my life whether good or bad because there is always a lesson to be learned. 

I have recently began a new project and have noticed something. I have been quite disappointed by the people who have not shown much support but I have also been surprised by those who have consistently shown support. I get compliments from strangers who have been inspired by a live broadcast and tell me to keep going. Some of them even promote the project.  

So - it turns out that experience is the best teacher as the saying goes. If I can be quite honest, I was a bit upset that some people who I thought will be the first to show their support have not yet said anything. However, I have been very overwhelmed and blessed by the number of people who have shown support consistently. I confess that I don't have much of a relationship with these people and so they don't have much of a reason by way of relationship to support me but professionally they might do.

I have watched some interviews by people who have risen into prominence and noticed that I am not the only one I know who has encountered and is encountering feeling alone when working on their passion project. 
Here is a quote from a book which explains this well
It is normal to meet with obstacles as you attempt to lift your head up in the world. When you discover a gift or a calling inside of you, the world does not respond by making a way for you.
Pg 10-11 From Obscurity to Prominence, by E.K Boadu 

That is good right?

Sometimes the journey to the top of your mountain may feel lonely and it will definitely not be easy. Don't see your value or your worth as the value others place on you. You can quote me on that, Ekua Newton (c) 2020 - Copyrighted, patented and all. 
Value yourself and belief in yourself (Ekua Newton (c) 2020). Belief in your dreams and keep working towards them. 

Going back to the topic of feeling unsupported, my mindset also started to change when I did these 4 things:

1. Don't take it personal 

There is bound to be a reason for their silence. They might be going through difficult times and so the outside world might not be their priority. They might be busy with other things and so haven't had the chance to support as they should. Orrrr your product, your business or your project might not appeal to them and by that I mean they are not in need of what you are offering at that moment if it's a product or service. If it's a project or initiative then they might not understand it. 
Most of these points generally sum it up to 'your priorities are different, so don't take it personal'. Shake off the feeling of hate when it comes around! (Ekua Newton (c) 2020)

2. Count your blessings 

Appreciate the people who are supporting you. Appreciate those who are patronizing your business service or product. Appreciate the fact that you have an audience. Yes your audience may not be people you know, but that 1, 2, 4 or 10 constant customers need you - so you are making a difference. In my case, I had to come to the understanding that my family were my biggest support. 

One time after an Instagram broadcast, I thanked my (nuclear) family members on our Whatsapp group for joining me on an Instagram Live but in an apologetic kind of way. If they had not joined the broadcast, it would have been 2 people present at a given time but not staying for the entire broadcast. I felt bad that they couldn't leave to make that important phone call or revise for that ACCA exam, finish off a product design to avoid falling behind  deadline or even rest after a long day at work. They had things to do as well but they gave their full attention for the entire 1 hour 15 minutes. I had realised that their support was all I needed to stand on my feet. 

Before I went to sleep that night, mum responded with a rebuke which only came out of love. These were her exact words
"Nonsense! We're a family and that is what is expected and required from us. So get used to it and get on the bandwagon."

Harsh words I know, but it sure did snap me out of self-pity.

3. Keep going

Once you have establish the above 2 truths or assumptions, you must keep your head up and keep going. It sure took a lot of courage to get started in the first place, so don't let discouragement get to you.
You can even take it a step higher by getting a little more of your comfort zone and apply yourself to enhance a skill you were lacking. Never have the thought in mind 'to show this (named) person/ people that you are also a somebody' as my Ghanaians will say. This is basically when one (works hard) to "show off" to others in order to prove oneself to them.

Sweetie, let me tell you something? You don't need to prove anything to anybody. Check this out


I diverge... but isn't this image dope? It speaks volumes to me and that's why I chose it.


4. Support others

My experience in my time of wanting support also caused me to reflect on how much I put into other people's lives not just supporting businesses but being present in their lives. In response to this thought, I commented on people's pictures on their Whatsapp stories not only to compliment them but to make small talk. I felt that I had not spoken to these people for a while even though we had each other's contact. A psychologist will read into this and tell me that I am treating others the way I would like to be treated and I will nod in agreement.

I also showed support to other businesses or projects by not just liking their pictures, products, I actually took the time to browse through the business profile or page, sometimes posting a nice comment for the pictures I really liked. Again, a psychologist will read into this and tell me that I am treating others the way I would like to be treated and I will again nod in agreement but I will explain further that, I really want to know what is the core message (or service) this business or organisation is offering. So it is not a case of 'do unto others* ...' this time.


So here it is, another seemingly sad situation turns out to have an easy solution. It is not a case of forget about them and focus on you. It is a case of be yourself but a better version of yourself (Ekua Newton (c) 2020). Yes you can quote me on that one too 👈. I am knocking out some inspirational quotes this morning, aren't I. Who endowed me with such wisdom? 
It can only be God the creator, yes the one who existed before Genesis 🙌🙏


Footnotes and sources
*Do to others as you would have them do to you" (Luke 6:31) The Bible
All sites accessed on the 12th of July 2020



Comments

  1. Yes the road to the top of the mountain is long and lonely most times. But keep your head up, big up yourself, God's got ya (if you are in His will for your life) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! yes we must keep going and pushing against the current

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! If you enjoyed what you read, please share with your friends. Much love, Ta :)

Popular posts from this blog

My To-Be List for age 30 and beyond

Dear Singleton...Part 1

Being Extraordinary