4 tips for starting a new season

Estimated reading time: 4 minutes

It’s the 1st of September… Happy New Month! Just like the blog title states, I will be sharing some tips on how to start a new season and maintain a positive attitude throughout.By new season I am referring to: a new month, new age, new year, new place, new venture, new job, new relationship etc. Anything which signifies the start of something significant to you. 

These are tips I have compiled from my own life experience; I know some of them are backed by psychological research findings. I will find them and add these facts for evidence in a follow-up post when I get the chance to.

I will be sharing 4 tips or attitudes you should start your new season with. These 4 tips are best put into practice with all the ‘vim’ that you can muster. 

Vim /vɪm/ is a noun and informal term meaning energy and enthusiasm.

I like the way the word ‘vim’ is used by young people in Ghana where I hail from. I think about how my family and friends commend, congratulate, or encourage me with “chale (pronounced chalay) more vim”, meaning ‘more energy, my friend’.

This simple phrase has a way of boosting my energy, so I reciprocate the encouragement in my interactions with them when the occasion demands.

My opening word of encouragement to you is ‘more vim, my friend’.

Now let’s get into the 4 tips.

 

Tip 1 - Have expectations.

You might not have hard goals (things you are working towards) for now but have expectations. Human beings need motivation for everything we do or else, we end up questioning and give up quickly.

Tip 2 - Have a positive attitude.

In your new season, whatever it may be, enter it with a positive attitude. Just like tip 1, a positive attitude gives you motivation, but it also affects those around you and gives them motivation too. Imagine someone being inspired to persevere in their struggling business because they see you do the same with a smile on your face and a positive response to every setback. How would you feel if someone confessed to you that they did not give up because you didn’t? A positive attitude makes the difference and it all stems from a positive mindset and positive thinking. So, remember, keep it positive.

 

Tip 3 - Use a daily personal mantra or saying.

Positive words and positive speech follows positive thinking. Have a saying or scripture that you Say Out Loud every day. Sometimes, it’s not enough to think positively, you must act positively with your words too. 

They say words carry power.  So then, saying the right things must certainly power you forward while repeatedly saying harsh or negative words do you damage. 


Here are two quotes that echo the power of words.

"Be careful with your words. Once they are said, they can only be forgiven, not forgotten.”

Anonymous


Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.

Ephesians chapter 4 verse 29 (The Bible) NLT 

 

My prime love language is words of affirmation, so I need the occasional compliment. Years ago, I decided to do more self-affirmations. With my head bowed in shame...I really haven’t been doing it. So today, I make a solemn promise to start this daily practice and my chosen mantra is ‘I am winningggggggggg’ with the widest smile upon my face.

 

Tip 4 - Have an accountability partner.

To keep new habits, it is helpful to be able to have someone checking in or someone you can share your progress with. If you can think of someone to share your new habits with and ask them to be your accountability partner, then great! If not, there are other options. 

1.     Create a schedule in your virtual calendar so you get daily reminders of what you need to do.

2.     Record it. Keep a record of your progress so you can see how much progress you are making. This is bound to motivate you on difficult days.

 

The options above can be used in conjunction with having an accountability partner. I am also on the lookout for an accountability partner 👀 . I hope you have found these tips helpful and will consider putting them into practice. I look forward to hearing about your progress.

 

Till next time,

Happy Living!

Claudy xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My To-Be List for age 30 and beyond

Being Extraordinary

Dear Singleton...Part 1