The Best Resolution Checklist

As I type this post, I have a playlist of Christmas hymns and carols playing in the background. A reminder that it is the 'most wonderful time of the year'. A period when families in almost all parts of the world come together to eat, laugh, eat some more and rest. I personally don't enjoy Christmas day because I find it rather dry and boring. So to entertain myself with some healthy conversation, I'll be hosting a Facebook and Instagram Live. It's going to be a drop-in and let's talk kind of live so you won't have to listen to me all the time. You can join the live, send me a wave and I'll invite you unto the live πŸ˜ƒ

I'll be hosting the same on Instagram on Sunday, Boxing Day so do join me if you are not a Facebook user or have some availability on that day instead.

So ...

This is going to be the final blog of 2021. I will be making a simple post for Intraordinary Life's YouTube channel to accompany this.

Anyway, let's get this blog post started.

As tradition goes, many of you may have started planning or writing your new year's resolutions. Some of you may have abandoned the tradition after several failed attempts at establishing your goals. I have been there and I feel your pain. So I don't always make a new year's resolutions list.

In fact, I take a less popular approach to new year's resolutions. I review and make my resolutions at every birthday. For me, this is in the month of August. Taking this approach, makes me more resolute in tackling my goals because I want to have a few accomplishments to celebrate on my next birthday. I also find that when age is knocking, I get less lazy. After all, I have a 5 year and a 10 year plan to check off too.

Let's get into the details on why this approach (my approach) is the best resolution checklist.

Step 1 - Write your resolutions.

Your resolutions can be in the form of a simple to-do list or an extensive plan. But I would encourage that you skip the extra details for now. What I mean is, don't make them too specific, time-bound etc I mean SMART for now.

In essence, Start your list off without the pressure of expiry dates.


Step 2 - Ask yourself these 3 questions:

  1. How practical are you?
  2. How knowledgeable are you?
  3. Are your goals/plans sustainable?

What I mean by practical is, how much of a doer are you. Are you the type who dreams alot but has less action. Or are you the type who takes their time to act (clears throat the 'procrastinator'), or are you the type who is efficiently practical only when it comes to doing work for others but not for yourself. That's a good prime question to ask. If you find yourself as a dreamer or procrastinator, then you'll need a change of attitude. If you put others first, then it's time to prioritize you a little.

Secondly, how much do you know about what you want to do? If one of your plans is to make money, then find out ways to make money within your means. If you want to get a promotion at work, find out what skills and duties are necessary for that role and then start learning to do them so that you can prove yourself by your actions and knowledge.

Thirdly, many people set goals, hit them and that's it. For example if one of your goals is to get married and by God's grace you do, congratulations πŸ™Œ! But a sustainable goal will be to stay happily married for the rest of your life with your spouse. With this kind of goal, the partnership of your spouse is required. Together you both need to define what a happy marriage looks like and how you are going to maintain the love and introduce sparks to keep the love aflame ❤️‍πŸ”₯.

For your understanding, Sustainable means 'able to be upheld or defended'. (From google search /Oxford Languages)

So every goal you set must be something you can uphold [for a set time if need be] and defended by you. There are times when you will be tempted to give up, but that goal needs to be something that speaks to you so that you can fight to see it fulfilled.


Step 3 - Apply your findings to your goals.

After you have asked yourself these 3 questions, you can now begin to make your goals a little more specific. Don't be afraid to change some. You might need to make mention of some specific courses, organisations or people in your plans/goals who will come in handy.


Step 4 - Segment your goals

Some of your goals can wait. Don't overwhelm yourself with things right from the 1st of January. You can break your plans down and then introduce something new or different every quarter or half of the year as per your preference. This will keep you more focused throughout the year and add some excitement to your life or routine.


Step 4 - Visualise your goals

I think seeing things in the mind's eye is great. But seeing things physically is even better. On a canvas, draw yourself as you want to see yourself in time. Or create a vision board. There are books available on Amazon, etsy etc. Alternatively, you can use apps such as pinterest or create a free vision board on this website I just discovered.

Creating a vision board also allows you to put all your goals together and it doesn't have to be based on what you want for 1 year only, it could be everything you want in life. 

At this rate, I am going to leave you to get thinking or writing. I am out of words as well... so all the better. If you received this link from a friend and would like to receive my periodic newsletters, do sign up. 

Be sure to check out my channels on YouTube:   Intraordinary Life    |     Intraordinary Travels

I am hoping to reach 100 subs on Intraordinary Travels by the 31st December 2021! YikesπŸ™† Talk about goals. So please share share share πŸ™. Thank you for your support and readership! 


Till next time,

Happy Living 

Claudy xoxo






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My To-Be List for age 30 and beyond

Being Extraordinary

Dear Singleton...Part 1