Poem: My Love is Skin-deep, Your Love is Steadfast



My Love is Skin deep
As deep as the thickness of my skin
Metaphorically, my love is best described as thin
Fragile and perishing
My love only lasts for second
If I said "I will love you forever"
       What do you reckon?
I love you because you love me
I love you because you give to me
I love you because you listen to me
I love you because you are just like me
You see I have reasons why I love you
It might be one, two or three



Your Love is steadfast
Not like my love
For unlike me
You give it for free
You love yesterday, today and for infinity
You loved me even when I hated you
You loved me even when I spite you
You love me eventhough you are a thousand times better than me
You love me even when I ignore you
These are just among the reasons why you love me

They are one, two, three and innumberable
You love me for every reason
Good, bad and unworthy reasons
Not like my love


Your love is steadfast
Your love is
9inch nails pierced deep into the palm of your hands and feet
A crown of throwns
40 strips of lashes
Hurling insults, bursts of laughter
And a death sentence for no true reason


Your love is making me perfect in His sight
Because I have always been His delight
Although, I don’t do what is right
Your love is 
Taking away my pain, shame and all my transgressions

Your love is beyond all these expressions
For these reasons, my love takes on a new level of transmission
Lord, Help me love you as perfect
Where my love goes wrong, correct it
My Love is skin-deep
Your love is steadfast



Author
Ekua Newton, (c) 2015

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Extraordinary

My To-Be List for age 30 and beyond

Dear Singleton...Part 1