Chapter 27 - Inner Circle


Inner circle 
Noun
A small, intimate, and often influential group of people.
Sourced from Dictionary.com

I celebrated my birthday lately. My 27th birthday - and as most people tend to do at the turn of a new year or season in life, I took to reflecting. Reflecting is a normal part of me, as my personality (introvert) and sometimes I feel my genetic make-up allows me to.

As I pondered over many aspects of life in general and of my life over the past days, I realised that I have not experienced the beauty of togetherness to a certain extent. In specific detail, in my twenty-seven years of life, I have never been to a baby shower, a bridal shower, a hen-night, a friend’s wedding and don’t even mention a slumber party. No. Nada. Never in my lifetime. But the reason for this is simple, I don’t have many (actually, any) close friends. 

And this thought occurred to me almost at the end of the day of my birthday. Which was a great day where I was reminded of how much I am loved. Being the person I am, I asked myself more than once, what I have actually done to receive so much love and happy wishes but I brushed the thoughts aside to make way for positive thoughts. A habit which I have tasked myself to take a hold of and commit to. 

Sometime in the day, my thoughts led to the fact that I have not attended notable ‘girlfriends’ events like those mentioned earlier, maybe the idea came as I was scrolling through my social media feeds...Facebook and Instagram. All the same, I realised that I have a lot of great people around me, who take time to encourage me, boast about me, compliment me and in their own way show me love and care. I began to feel that I had taken them for granted all these years. In previous years, while I felt lost they have always been there. 

So I took a decision there and then to let these special people into my inner circle. A place where no one has ever really occupied. In this new chapter, I am reminded of the fact that ‘no man is an island’ but a part of a whole...

No man is an island,
Entire of itself,
Every man is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thy friend's
Or of thine own were:
Any man's death diminishes me,
Because I am involved in mankind,
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for thee. 

John Donne (1624)



Till next time...


Happy Living!

Claudy xoxo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My To-Be List for age 30 and beyond

Being Extraordinary

Dear Singleton...Part 1